Design and Engineering
Datafox specialise in claiming Research and Development Tax Credits for all businesses involved within design and engineering.
- Like with the Construction industry, a large amount of Engineering work is scientific and requires extensive R&D activities – many of which companies and organisations are not aware they can claim tax relief on.
- Investigating alternate/ innovative materials with which to construct a structure or parts of a structure.
- Determining alternate/ innovative means of assembling and/or fastening component parts of a structure.
- Performing environmental impact studies.
- Incurring integration costs related to designing multiple co-dependent features, where the technical uncertainty may only be eliminated by designing the related components.
- Conducting sustainable design.
- Experimenting with new materials and technologies.
- Practicing design testing.
- Conducing special use design.
- Determining alternative structural design.
- Research into integrated waste disposal processes.
- High-tech equipment installation.
- Building information modelling (BIM).
- Performing CAD modelling.
- Drainage/storm water management/ environment design & testing.
- Structural engineering to withstand earthquakes, hurricanes, fire and other disasters.
- Improving acoustic qualities of structure.
- Developing alternative water flow / plumbing systems.
- Developing alternative electricity conduction systems.
- Developing or improving lighting within a structure.
- Improving or developing alternative ventilation for a structure.
- Improving or determining alternative heating and cooling systems.
What is R&D Tax Credit?
Introduced by the UK Government in 2000, the R&D tax relief scheme is designed to encourage innovation and global competitiveness by allowing companies to reclaim some of the money invested in qualifying research and development. SMEs can recover up to 26% (if in profit) and 33.35% (if loss-making) of all eligible R&D expenditure. Large companies/ organisations can benefit from an after-tax benefit of 9.72% of the qualifying R&D expenditure. Many UK organisations miss the opportunity to reap the potential rewards offered by HMRC’s R&D Tax Credit scheme.
The HMRC R&D Tax Credits guidance notes are set out in a document hundreds of pages thick and updated after almost every budget. Even if you manage to weigh through this yourself, chances are you’ll miss out on maximising your claim or worse, over-claim which could result in an HMRC investigation. Why the process is best served best by experts, who submit such claims on a daily basis.
Ready to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for your R&D tax refund, please call us on the freephone number below or use this contact form and one of our helpful team will be in touch to help.
Mini Case Study:
A brewing company that brews beer & operates some pubs on the south coast of England. The claim processed by the expert Datafox team relates to challenges to meet two independent issues regarding regulatory compliance: in the first instance, the brewer was required to invent a custom solution to the discharge of effluent into the sewer system after an issue was raised by the local water company. In the second instance, the brewer was required to design & install a bespoke extraction & air filtration system into the kitchens of one of their pubs. To meet the former requirement, a number of off-the-shelf solutions were tried but found to be wanting. In the end, the brewer had to make modifications to an Oil Tank system to allow capacity for effluent to be held during periods of excessive flow so that filtration systems could cope. To meet the air filtration requirement, the brewer had to work closely with subcontractors to design a system that would fit into an old building, and that would satisfy local authority & DEFRA regulations.
A successful claim was made with the brewer receiving a substantial cash back payment from HMRC with eight weeks.
Stuff you need to know
Helping the Food & Beverage Industry Claim R&D Tax Creditsread more
R&D Tax Credits for Financial Services Industry – we let you watch the pennies while we get back your pounds!read more
Datafox gives food for thought within the Food and Beverage industry.read more